Presented by

Translate

Thursday, October 13, 2011

Jacqueline's Jewelry Chest


After visiting Lewis Lumber Products, I decided on two really great woods to use on my jewelry chest, lacewood and light maple. Lacewood comes from a tree Australia that is very tall and straight, usually 100 feet tall with a diameter of 48”. The natural color of the wood is reddish-brown and matures to a brownish color, and the grain is just absolutely beautiful. I chose this species because the intricacy and size of the grain reminds me of jewelry. The grain contains patches of rays that also seem to shimmer as polished jewelry would. I think these characteristics are perfect to highlight the drawer fronts of the jewelry chest. The lacewood has an open grain and I therefore chose to use maple, a closed grain wood, on the pieces surrounding the drawer fronts for visual contrast. The maple is also a lighter wood, almost white in color. I am so excited to get working with these and see how they compliment each other when finished! Big thanks to Keith and everyone at Lewis Lumber Products for their help!!
Maple

Lacewood

On another note, I constructed the seven drawers that make up a majority of the storage in this chest. I used an oak plywood that I picked up from Lowes in 2’x4’ sheets. Note to all amateurs: DO NOT use plywood for drawer sides. The wood has tons of knots and chips that broke off everywhere after they where cut to size. Hardwood should always be used whenever making anything that involves box cuts, which is the system I used to assemble the drawer sides. While trying to fit the grooves together the plywood just did not want to budge. I therefore had to file every groove on every drawer side. Not the most efficient use of my woodshop time but all seven drawers are put together and are faced with the lacewood! Next step, the maple side doors.



4 comments:

Mike Messina said...

Regarding your statement about not using plywood for drawer sides due to knots and chips, I suspect you bought the wrong plywood. I have made many drawers using Russian/Finish/European birch plywood with great success. This is high-quality plywood that has many layers, is very flat, and is free of voids and knots. I prefer plywood over solid wood for drawer sides and backs to avoid issues of warpage, cupping, expansion due to humidity changes, and so forth. The high-end plywood is usually not available at the Big Box stores, but is instead sold by places such as Industrial Plywood in Lewistown. This stuff is so good that you can even route dadoes and grooves in it for good glue joints to hold your drawers together. I'm just sayin' ....

Ira said...

I made some game calls out of that Lacewood. Did not wear my dust mask. Bad mistake…chest congestion like the Flu for several days. Not too cool. Purchased a better dust mask and started using it most of the time. I was using a shop vac for a collector but that apparently was not good enough with the fine sanding dust.

Mike Messina said...

I should have said in my message above that if you are interested, let me know so that I can bring to work a sample of the plywood I referenced to show you what I mean. You can even use high-quality domestic plywoods as I just built some file cabinet drawers using half-inch maple plywood without suffering any grief or angst.

Keith Atherholt said...

Jackie- I like the way your choice of wood species alligns with the use of your furniture piece. I can not wait to see the final product! Thank you for choosing Lewis Lumber Products!