Presented by

Translate

Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Forest Biomass --- The Rest of the Story

As I mentioned last week, the biggest portion of questions I get refer to biomass supply and demand. And while people asking these questions are usually interested in the quantitative aspect, I find that the qualitative benefits of biomass harvesting are often under-appreciated.

I've touched on them before: improved forest health, better ecosystem diversity, better utilization of forest products, energy security, and retention of dollars in the local economy. Here's a nice video by the Biomass Energy Resource Center that touches on all of these points using real people, and real wood, in the biomass supply process. There's one quote in the video, by a local forester, that I think, really expresses the innate goodness of the biomass harvest that many foresters and landowners feel after the harvest...
"What I enjoy about my job is the health of the forest and when I'm finished, seeing how everything looks...and how the light comes into the forest, and how the trees are properly spaced..."
More reason to Go Wood...




No comments: