Presented by

Translate

Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Winter Storm Saturn Threatens This Wood Guy

According to The Weather Channel, the nation is gripped in the throes of Winter Storm "Saturn". I was scheduled to make some quality control audits today and tomorrow at some truss plants in the southeastern part of the state, but thanks to life-saving advice from TWC, and numerous other news stations that are covering the storm wall-to-wall, I thought the better of it and stayed put in State College.

The storm reporter below gives us the frightening detail. Around the 1:00 minute mark, we learn that the snow has almost reached her elbows!



Which sounds pretty bad, unless you happen to notice that her hand is on the ground when she says that.

[Update: TWC pulled the video I originally posted within hours of my posting it, and replaced it with the one you see below. I guess they agreed with the Go Wood assessment that it was more than just a little silly. Good for them if so; let's hope they return to their high-quality standard of reporting the weather.]

Now, I know that somewhere out there, some of you are being inconvenienced by the storm. And that is only a matter of hours before the mayors of New York and Boston declare city-wide emergencies and take to the cable-waves to warn their citizens of slippery sidewalks. But come on...giving names to snow showers?

I guess that is for the best. Some day, we'll be able to look back and say, "I remember Winter Storm Pluto. Worse storm I ever saw. Had to shovel a foot of snow off my car tires."

Fortunately, just in the nick of time, Dr. Ryszard Szymani of the Wood Machining Institute shared these photos of past winters in Russia. Perhaps the terror of the young lady above will be assuaged by these photos. After all, it could always be worse. What would mayor Bloomberg think if NYC looks like this after Winter Storm Saturn?



And how much of a ticket will I receive for driving my car like this?


Not sure our road crews have the equipment to clear twenty feet of snow off the interstate. 


Russians really need the The Weather Channel. At least they would know when to not leave their windows down at night.


Now, you folks out in Montana think you live the rugged winter life. Well....


Russians literally know what it means to "shovel the car out."


And when was the last time you saw crews shoveling off the roofs of condos?


You have to wonder why they use such short utility poles in Russia.


Commutes can get a little chilly this time of year...


And the road crews have a little work to do, before they even get to work!


I just checked The Weather Channel again. The "Eastern Beast" (the headline name for Winter Storm Saturn) is now predicted to dump...2-4 feet of snow on Philly tonight. No wait...that is 2-4 inches. Good thing I have four-wheel drive. 

But thankfully, TWC has this page to keep us safe out there...and to warn us of the potential loss of gas mileage during winter conditions.

Can't understand why those Russians think we are all "weak Americans" over here, can you?


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great Blog. Keep up the good work !

Anonymous said...

Thanks Chuck...As always, I look forward to receiving your blog!!!

Mike Messina said...

This is funny and I appreciate the irony. But at the same time it makes me sad about how much we as a society have come to depend upon sensationalism in our news reporting, including the weather. I can't wait for the first day this spring when the sky has no clouds, the wind isn't blowing, the temperature is 75 degrees, and the humidity is really low. Will the TV weather people be alarmed that "There is no weather today! None! The weather is missing!"

Curiously Disillusioned said...

Great tongue-in-cheek humor. My favorite kind.